Info. for Businesses
A Business Retention and Expansion Program of the Surprise Regional Chamber of Commerce
What Every Business Needs to Know
What is Shop Surprise
Shop Surprise is a “Buy local” or “Shop Local” campaign of the Surprise Regional Chamber of Commerce. The program is designed to educate consumers about the economic and social advantages that local businesses bring to a community. The Shop Surprise campaign, is the first of its kind in the nation for Chambers, and has been the recipient of international, national and regional awards.
The goal of the campaign is to create a thriving local economy by maximizing the potential of local businesses and increasing their market share relative to non-local businesses. The program is funded by the City of Surprise and program sponsors.
How Does Shop Surprise Work?
Shop Surprise is promotional campaign that uses electronic media to encourages residents to buy local. The program utilizes various digital promotional elements including the Internet, websites, social media platforms like Facebook and twitter. The notable feature of the program is the use of digital text messages (deals) that are sent to a person’s mobile phone. Local businesses submit special offers (deals) to the Chamber. Those deals that meet certain criteria are then broadcast to Shop Surprise customers.
Why Digital Text Messages?
The Chamber selected SMS messages (text messaging), because it is without question one of the most effective forms of marketing available today. Today texting is the most common form of communication in the U.S. among mobile phone users. Consider that 98% of all sent text messages are read, and on average they are read within 4 minutes of being received, it is easy to see the effectiveness of SMS marketing. Unlike other forms of marketing and advertising, with SMS marketing has the ability to affect and impact a business, not within days or weeks, but literally within minutes or hours. All Shop Surprise customers have voluntarily opted-in to receive deals!
How Does the Chamber Get Shop Surprise Customers?
The Chamber is one of the most respected and trusted brands in US. The Chamber, because of its unique position in the community, it can mobilize businesses, local government and community groups to create a city-wide movement. The Chamber promtes the program throur social media . The City of Surprise also promotes and advertises the program businesses. Businesses in-turn distribute the flyers to customers and employees. Local businesses may also donate goods and services to the Shop Surprise Movement!
How Much Does It Cost?
There is no cost to a business or the consumer to participate. However, the Chamber receives more deal requests than there are openings, so process is somewhat competitive. Deals that offer value, timeliness and exclusivity receive preferential consideration. Because Shop Surprise is also a business retention and expansion program, special consideration is afforded to specific business sectors, new business start-ups and premium users. The Chamber must carefully manage the types and variety of deals in order reduce opt-out rates, and to ensure the highest possible enrollment rates, which means better results for the business community.
How Your Business Can Support the Shop Surprise Movement:
- Distribute Shop Surprise flyers to your customers ( cash registers or shopping bags)
- Place Join Our Cause Sticker at the entrance/exit of your door
- Don’t forget to get your employees to opt-in as well
- Contact the Chamber about posting your free dea
- Promote Shop Surprise on your website, Facebook and other social/digital media
- Provide a prize for the Chamber to use as a give-away and inducement for customers enrolling in the program
- Help develop our local workforce: Use a CTE intern at your business
- Show your support of the business community- Joins the Surprise Regional of Commerce – TODAY
Student Interns for Your Business
The Surprise Regional Chamber is a proud promotional partner of Career and Technical Education (CTE). Career and Technical Education (CTE) programs prepare students to enter the workforce with the academic and technical skills needed to compete successfully in the job market. CTE courses typically include competency-based learning in the areas of culinary arts, sales and marketing, computer animation/digital communications and healthcare to name a few of the areas. CTE programs improve our workforce by providing a skilled workforce, which in turn attracts more businesses.
A Membership to the Chamber Benefits You
Companies join the Chamber of Commerce to increase their organization’s visibility, to invest in the future of their community and to have their voice heard. The Surprise Regional Chamber is the largest and oldest business organization in our region (El-Mirage, Sun City, Sun City West, Surprise and Youngtown). The mission of the Surprise Regional Chamber of Commerce is to champion economic prosperity, foster a pro-business climate, and to improve the quality of life in our region.
One look at what the Chamber is doing and you’ll want to be a part of it. Join today! For more information contact Mary Orta, Vice President of Marketing at firstname.lastname@example.org or 623-748-1828. Or go to www.surpriseregionalchamber.com
Here are some of considerations to having your deal selected?
- Does the deal offer something of real value?
- The deal is NOT duplicated elsewhere? (deals are not an everyday special, not found in store or website)
- The message has an attention grabbers and sense of urgency: Today Only, Special Today Only, etc.
- How often has the deal be run previously?
Sample Deals (Tip: Track coupon submissions on your point-of-sale system)
- Taco Loco: 50% off all Dinner meals, today only! 15350 W. Bell Rd
- Grand Opening Special: Free Small Drink with any burger. Today Only- Fast & Tasty Burger
- Los Taco: Today ONLY! Buy One Grilled Chicken Taco and get one FREE
- Tokyo Buffet: Buy one lunch, get one ½ off on the second lunch. This week only!
- Graves and Sorbel – Book Deal of the Day! 20% off one item. See store for details.
- S & T Tire- Free Oil Change for first 20 customers. 133323 W. Bell Rd Ref. Coupon Code 2346
- Chicago Wings-Traditional Wings For 50 cents – All Day Tuesday!
Three Marketing and Advertising Programs
Because Shop Surprise is a business retention and expansion program, special consideration is afforded to specific business sectors, new businesses, and premium service users. The Chamber must carefully manage the types and variety of deals in order reduce opt-out rates, and to ensure the highest possible enrollment rates, which means better results for the business community. Business may select one of three advertising packages.
Free Digital Text Marketing Deals
The Chamber receives more free deal requests than there are openings, so process is somewhat competitive. The free deals that offer value, timeliness and exclusivity receive preferential consideration.
- We will do all we can to run your deals on specific dates
- First time deals, new business start-ups and premium service users receive priority
- Blackout periods may apply (Holidays, Spring Training Season, Weekends, etc.)
- Deals must meet certain criteria for eligibility
Premium Digital Text Marketing Campaign (More digital marketing, no black-out periods, you pick the dates your deals run)
- No black-out periods (includes holidays, weekends)
- Deals may run during Spring Training Season
- Digital text deals may include hyperlinks back to your site
- Select specific dates
- Deals also appear on Shop Surprise and Visit Surprise Facebook pages
- Pricing: 6 Premium Custom deals for $1,499 ($249 ea.)
- Pricing: 12 Premium Custom deals for $2,399 ($199 ea.)
Shop Local Branding Sponsor (Limit 7 Sponsors*)
- Logo placement on 200,000 promotional flyers distributed to over 500 business
- Logo placement on distribution racks dispersed to local businesses
- Logo placement of Shop Surprise website landing page
- Includes business membership to Surprise Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Includes name mention in press releases and public service announcements
- Includes VIP invitations to Chamber events
- Include logo placement on Shop Surprise banner
- Pricing: $7,500
*The Chamber looks at sponsorship clutter as a measure of how many companies are competing for share of voice related to a particular program. Fewer sponsors allows for a company to have a more prominent ID, etc. Excessive sponsors increase visual clutter which makes it harder for a sponsor to stand out, ultimately lowering the value of the opportunity. The Chamber therefore limits partner sponsors, to ensure maximum visibility and branding.
Selection Criteria for Deals
The Chamber receives more deal requests than there are openings, selecting deals are therefore somewhat competitive process. Deals that offer value, timeliness and exclusivity receive preferential consideration. The slects deals at its own discretion. Deals selected by the Chamber are about finding the right balance between a deal being offered and the unique tastes of our Shop Surprise customers. Because Shop Surprise is also a business retention and expansion program special considerations also afforded to specific business sectors, geographic areas, new business start-ups and premium users.The Chamber must carefully manage the types and variety of deals in order reduce opt-out rates, and to ensure the highest possible enrollment rates to ensure a loyal customer base.
Shop Surprise is produced and managed by Surprise Regional Chamber of Commerce. The Chamber is solely responsible the Shop Surprise program including, but not limited to program content, guidelines, promotional efforts, and digital deal distribution and oversight. The Chamber makes no guarantee regarding redemption rates, consumer participation rates and assumes no responsibility for deals or coupons offered by businesses.
Shop Surprise is business retention and expansion (B.R.E.) program of the Surprise Regional Chamber of Commerce. The Chamber B.R.E program recruits local businesses to participate in an in electronic/digital promotional marketing campaign that distributes coupons/discounts to residents. The program encourages and educates residents to shop and buy from local merchants. The BRE program promotional elements include business education, social media, website, digital SMS text marketing, email, and personal selling.
Special deals are the sole responsibility of the business and may only be redeemed by individuals who have opted-into the program. Deals have specific limitations: expiration dates, not redeemable for cash, not valid on previous purchases, cannot be combined with other coupons and void if copied. Deals also limited at the sole discretion of the business making the offer. The Chamber does not endorse businesses, products or services.